Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hello, my name is Jeanne and I am a binge eater

I sure do love food. Some of my favorites include macaroni and cheese, Hamburger Helper, cheesy broccoli rice casserole dishes, chips, pizza, cheeseburger snacks. Yummmy!

Boy can I eat a lot of food. Finish off a whole box of cheeseburger macaroni Hamburger Helper? Yes, please! I’ve never been one of those people who just stops eating when I’m satisfied, or even full. I eat until there is no food left. I can put down an entire bag of Doritos and not think anything of it. It’s not just junk food either. Right now I am struggling because there is a bowl of apples not far away. I could easily eat three of them. Am I hungry? No. I had a satisfying dinner of tilapia, butternut squash and roasted potatoes. I just want to eat. All. The. Time. It’s all I think about. What am I going to eat? When will I eat? What will I eat after that?

Sometimes it’s mindless munching. Sometimes I’m eating my emotions. Sometimes I just like the way it tastes so much I eat a few granola bars. I love a good binge.

During my ‘formative years’ (high school) I could eat just about anything I wanted. I played basketball and threw track so I burned the calories in the two peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and pile of chips off pretty easily. My ‘portion control’ revolved around my active lifestyle. I never really adjusted my portions but I did my activity level. Through college and after I slowly gained too much weight (the accident did not help). Now I struggle. I have given Weight Watchers a whirl and that has helped. Now if I could stick with those reasonable portion sizes on a regular basis, maybe I could maintain a weight loss. Sigh.

I find it especially hard to control my weight, and even loose some pounds while training. I am working out at a level that I have not experienced in a long time (if ever) and I am hungry all the time. This is not a good situation for a binge eater. I don’t need an excuse to eat and now throw actual hunger on top of it? Are you kidding!?

I struggle with this every day. I need to eat enough calories to fuel my workout. I need to eat the right kind of calories to fuel my workout. I need to make sure I hit all of the important nutrients. I need to reach a racing weight that will allow me to optimally perform for the big race (and look super cute in a bridesmaid dress a week before!). I need to stay away from the Easter candy aisle at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment